1/4 cup butter
1 (16 oz.) pkg. miniature marshmallows
4 tbsp. water
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 lbs. confectioners' sugar, divided
- Place the butter in a shallow bowl, and set aside.
- Place the marshmallows in a large microwave-safe bowl, and microwave on High for 30 seconds to 1 minute to start melting the marshmallows.
- Carefully stir the water and vanilla extract into the hot marshmallows, and stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Slowly beat in the confectioners' sugar, a cup at a time, until you have a sticky dough.
- Reserve 1 cup of powdered sugar for kneading. The dough will be very stiff.
- Rub your hands thoroughly with butter, and begin kneading the sticky dough. As you knead, the dough will become workable and pliable.
- Turn the dough out onto a working surface dusted with confectioners' sugar and continue kneading until the fondant is smooth and no longer sticky to the touch, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Form the fondant into a ball, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. To use, allow the fondant to come to room temperature, and roll it out onto a flat surface dusted with confectioners' sugar.